Tuesday, August 14, 2007

On Nietzsche’s Atheism


On Nietzsche’s Atheism
A Reaction Paper


Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche and Karl Marx, as atheists see religion as the central evil of every society (world in general). Thus, according to them religion should be eliminated to achieve a freer and better society, even utopian.
Many atheists have varying explanations on why is religion evil. But we will focus on Nietzsche here. Nietzsche believes that religion impedes man from surpassing oneself. Man cannot be a ubermensch, a superman (now called overman) with the presence of religion. Religion is the framework of his society and all units therein. Man is bound to follow the social customs and norms with religious underpinnings. All religion does is set limits to man’s world. In Nietzsche’s standpoint, man is trapped and held powerless by religion.
Such school of thought is possibly popular in this secular age. And if one is to examine it with an atheistic proclivity, Nietzsche is very appealing to believe and agree at. But in my case, it is not quite.
I am certain the Nietzsche would agree that religion is a powerful force. It is so powerful that he fears it to be the great barrier, the hindrance. Since, we agree on that matter, I want to raise a contention. I would like to ask him this: If religion as a powerful force that controls and limits man, is taken away somewhere, sometime, what will replace it?
In my point of view, religion puts the world and societies in order. It guides all the events to a certain harmony. Religion places things in their proper places. Consequently, without it, man with his tendencies will have full control. If so, did Nietzsche ever think that if man is given all the control, the world becomes chaotic? Look at Hitler who with his tendencies as a man to become domineering, superior and beastly even, took the lives of thousands of Jews. Man cannot and must not have the complete control of his life because having so is to self-destruct. If Man can be saintly and superman, he can as well be so super evil.
How about the rapists and murderers, they who have lost their sense of religion and fear of the Hell? The world turns into such a disorganized place, a place Nietzsche himself did not see. He would not surely live in a neighborhood of murderers and rapists and Hitlers, people who have become superman (Atheist context). These are the people who have surpassed themselves, a man who knows and follows no rules and laws. They are themselves the law and rules. They are supermen. Nietzsche would not live in such place.
In a personal level, if I have no sense of destiny and future because of the teachings of my religion, I want to shoot bullets into stupid people’s heads. Also, I love to rape all the hot guys I come across. But all these I suppress for my religion tells me so. These things should remain only in my imagination. My religion influences my actions. It determines and predetermines a society/world of justice and order. Religion is the very reason why all of us still exist.
Now, without it, who tells man what to and what not to do? Who will tell me? In the final analysis, Nietzsche proves to be an atheist–to-the-worst-kind. He wants to obliterate not only religion but Man as well. His atheism lies on his lack of sense of destiny and future, a character that the religious man has.
With all that he says, if Nietzsche is still alive I want to shoot him in the head three times. But my religion tells me not to. And I say lucky him, “religion” saves him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there.
I don't think I've ever posted on the internet before, but I came across your blog while writing my Nietzsche final, and I feel like I just want to bring up a few points to you.
I find it a little insulting, in a way. I don't mean to pick a fight, but my feelings are hurt. You say without God, we would rape, pillage, steal, shoot people in the face, whatever. But this negative image of mankind is something that has been taught to you through religion, saying that God is the Ultimate good and without him, we are just measly, selfish, gratfying jerks. You would share this view with Thomas Hobbes, who wrote the Leviathon, and said that everything we do is derived from selfish acts. He, actually, argues that we need a system of government to regulate our evils, not religion.
But I disagree with both counts, as does Nietzsche. I do not think you can cast away his ideas of the overman so quickly. You obviously came across the idea of 'going under' when you read Thus Spoke Zarathustra. These ideas strike me as so beautiful and fill me with such a sense of humanity, when you belittle them, honestly, I get a little sad.
Personally, I don't do the God thing, and I find myself growing to be a better and better person each day. This is because I know my goodness is fueled by myself, not some outside influence that I have to live up to, but I'm not sure if I can. The latter makes me worry about what is good or evil, makes me feel pressure to live up, makes me second guess my actions. The former just makes me live my life, be happy, do whatever I want to do at the moment. And I assure you, I haven't shot anyone, nor do I think that's in my future.
Godless people are sane, and they are good. We have our sense of 'morality', if you would call it that. I do not follow a code of 'right and wrong'. Because I love certain people, I do not do things that would inflict pain on them, and because I value our economic and environmental system, I try not to do things that will inevitably destruct it, like burn fossil fuels and shop at Walmart (a few of the greater evils that the Bible ignores :) ). And because I hate being punished, I do not do things that will result in my punishment. I'm a really nice lady, and I don't feel constrained or stressed about my morality.
When I hear the words 'overman', I think 'so-much-man' and it makes me happy. It makes me happy to imagine someone taking a deep breath, and asserting their life full of goodness and happiness, and not needing a God to validate it. That's so beautiful.
There is another philosopher, forgive me, I forget his name, who talks about humanity takes all of it's beautiful attributes - perfection, truth, beauty, strength - and attributes them to a 'God', who embodies all of them to the fullest degree. This God shouts down to them 'I AM perfection, truth, beauty, strength...and you cannot compare!'. The human being feels lacking, unbeautiful, weak...and always looks to a concept of 'God' for their fulfillment away from their own inability to live up. But the fact is, they were perfect when they were just happy, hungry, sex-filled humans.
Humanity is beautiful, despite all it's faults, and for me, it's all there is. I worship my own possibilities with as much vigor as others worship God. So, please, imagine if you came across a post bashing your Lord vigorously, and deconstructing the Bible. That's what I feel when I read your post. I do not need a God to feel good about myself, nor do I need him as protection from my intrinsic desire to 'shoot everyone in the head and rape guys'. I'm a big girl - I can not-rape-guys on my own.

Anonymous said...

The Universe doesn't revolve solely around religion.